Friday, March 2, 2012

Devi is Divine

My senior year of college,  after having fulfilled all my major requirements, I rewarded myself by taking a class in Rajasthani and Mughal art. At the time, I knew nothing about India apart from what I had seen in the movie Monsoon Wedding. So I was truly blown away when I learned about the Gods; Brahman, Shiva, Vishnu, Devi, Parvati, Lakshmi, Rama, Sita, Krishna, Radha, Kali, and infinite other forms. 

Hindu mythology and the art it inspires, is an exercise in the fantastic, the romantic, and the psychedelic.  The art is a visual representation of poetic verse, largely inspired by the epic tales of the Ramayana and Mahabharata.  Enjoy this fashion homage to the Goddess Devi in all of Her forms.

Just a quick disclaimer, these photos are inspired by Indian myths and art, they are not meant as actual depictions of the Indian people or culture.








Photographed by Nick Shepard
Assisted by Andra Georges
Styling and art direction by Annie Shepard
Modeled by Laura Schneider and Annie Shepard


No comments:

Post a Comment