Monday, October 17, 2011

Occupied


I frantically checked Twitter, trying to find out where the Occupiers were. It was October 15 and social media was abuzz, #OccupyWallStreet promised civil disobedience at the Citibank on Laguardia Pl. My adrenaline rose with each step towards Zuccotti Park, I couldn't wait to see the voice of my discontent.


But it wasn't my voice. It was too many voices with too many interests, united only by their frusteration in the status quo. And that is not enough for a movement.

Occupy feels like it is on the verge of being hijacked by people defined by their anger. I saw too many Ron Paul signs, too many V for Vendetta masks, heard too many conspiracy theorists to hope that this was a rational movement.

Zuccotti Park had the feeling of a Phish show gone on way too long. There were bags and garbage everywhere and it wasn't clear who was homeless and who was a protester. And while Times Square drew thousands of people, most of the energy was put towards challenging the police rather than collective thought. 

At this point, the movement has gone on too long without a coherent message or a real leader. There is so much energy right now, but I fear that it will be taken over by extremists and the center left will have missed its chance. I admire the attention and support that they have garnered so far, but now we need to exploit the momentum. Now is the time for Occupy to Act.


Way more after the Jump!





































No comments:

Post a Comment